Tuesday, May 13, 2003

I'm back from Jury Duty! I sat in a room for 3 hours this morning without getting called, and because of the lack of demand, they excused most us around noon. I got some work done, and some reading in. I wanted to serve on a jury pretty badly, although the timing would have blown in terms of upcoming travel I have for work. But hey, I made $15 today!

While on duty, I was reading ROTH, continuing through the section on the Transformation of the Will. It talks about a progression from the surrender of our will to God's will, to total abandonment to God's will, to contement with the will of God and finally to complete participation in accomplishing God's will in the world. I've been thinking about where I stand in the whole equation, what my ultimate vision is for my life in terms of my will and God's. I'm so much closer to total surrender than I was 10 years ago, 5 years ago, but I keep finding new areas that I want to and need to give up. The more I understand the Kingdom of God, the more I see these things in my life, and the more they seem like the obvious choice to surrender. So does complete abandoment mean I've identified everything, or that as I identify them, I'm willing to let go of them? One of the great descriptions of abandoment that Willard describes is that we come to accept that "Irredeemable harm does not befall those who willingly live in the hand of God."

No comments: