Thursday, August 21, 2003

I've been thinking a lot about different patterns and insecurities in my friendships. I've really figured out some major things in terms of how I deal with relationships, going back all the way to when I was a kid. In hindsight, it's pretty clear. I don't know how to fix this, but Cath and I talked about it the other night as I'm trying to figure this out, and I got together with Brad and Will last night to talk about our freindships. Aside from my wife, Will and Brad are my two closest freiends in the world. I think of the different levels of relationships as concentric circles with my wife at the core, Brad and Will on the next ring, and then other freinds that I am very close to, that I just don't get to spend the same quantity of time with, but can still talk very openly about a lot of things. Will and I have known each other for almost 13 years, back when he was in High School, and we've stayed friends through a lot, to the point that he's pretty much a part of my family - even my brothers introduce him as they're "adopted brother". Brad is a "little" older than Will and I (okay, he's got a sons the same age as Will and I), and grandchildren. The amazing thing is, that doesn't really make a difference in our relationship. Brad has the same passion for fun and relationships that I do, and not only does he have some amazing stories to tell, but he has some amazing wisdom and a way of delivernig it that makes it easy to process. Between the three of us, it's a rare day where we don't talk to each other, just to say "hi" and find out what's going on in each other's lives. I've experienced major spiritual milestones in my life in the context of my relationships with these guys. It's safe to say that we'd do anything for each other (unless one of them was bit by a rattlesnake in the "nether" region - then they'd die).

No comments: