Thursday, November 20, 2003

I just got done reading Psalm 18. It’s a song of David that he sung after God rescued him from his enemies. He paints this clear great of God as our protector using pictures like a rock, fortress and shield. David sings about how God will go to these great lengths to rescue his people, protects them and gives them strength. David uses the picture of God guiding him sure-footedly along a precarious mountain path. I’m trying to reconcile these images with three things. I’m reading Job, and I’m at the part where his buddies are giving him lots of bad advice, and Job is pretty bitter about God – trying to understand how David’s picture of God and Job’s dealings with God line-up. Secondly, I’m trying to understand why I’m so willing in my sin to walk away from a God who takes care of me and wants what’s best for me to the degree that Psalm 18 talks about. Third, I’m trying to understand all this to be able to justify in my mind this same caring God as I have to talk to my five-year about losing her friend in a freak car accident two days ago. I know there are lots of great biblical answers to all this, and my mind can rationalize all of them, but in my gut, they don’t line up right now

No comments: