Monday, December 22, 2003

On Saturday, I took the kids to Lansing to get us all out of Cathie's hair as she cleaned and cooked for the brunch we had yesterday. We went to see my Grandma, my parents and then some friends of ours we haven't seen in a while - Mike and Micky and their three kids.

I've known Mike for about fifteen years. When I was 19, I volunteered for Youth for Christ out at Everett High school, where Mike and worked together for three years. While involved in YFC, we had a great time - coming up with some amazing ideas and following through on them (and only having the police involved in a few), because neither of us was overly strong in the area of discernment. Mike I became great friends and our famalies have grown up together even though they're in Lansing and we're out here in South Lyon. Mike had a vision about 8 or 9 years ago to create a place (now called Visions) where high school, college and young adults could come, hang out, hear God's truth and be discipled. To really get the picture of how he took it from this vision to reality, you have to understand Mike's personality. Mike is a passionate guy and he loves to get others excited about what he's excited about. He's also got a really "dumb" faith. At the core of Mike is this belief that God will provide, no matter what. It defies logic, it defies common sense, but it works. God has met Mike's needs, his family's needs, and his ministries needs in an amazing way. Mike has stuck with this through thick and thin. Mike and I sharpen each other, and occasionally piss each other off. In the end, he's one of those guys who you know I'll be friends with to the end.

No comments: