Monday, January 19, 2004

I had my driveway shoveled by three Mormon guys yesterday. The Mormon guys who'd visited me a couple of weeks ago had stopped back by two or three times while I wasn't around. As I'm sitting on the can yesterday, Cathie knocks at the door and announces that they'd returned. I invited them in, this time with a new guy. The new guy was about 6'5" 270lbs - I figured he was their muscle. We sat down in the living room and started talking. Last time they'd stopped by, they left me with the book of Mormon and had asked me to ask God to reveal to me his truth as I read it. They asked if we could begin with prayer, and I said sure, mind if I pray? So I prayed for the four of us and we began talking. I asked them to tell me about their super-secret underwear. They told me that it's not something they can talk about - even new believers in LDS (Ladder Day Saints) don't find out about this stuff until they're a mormon for a year. I mentioned that I thought that was kind of different, because in my faith, nothing is really hidden from us - no secret handshakes or rituals. I asked them about their inheriteance of universes, polygamy and being saved by works. We kept talking about what I saw the differences being between our two faiths, but it never turned into a debate. It was interesting, they continued to try and convince me that there really was no difference betwee our two faiths. I asked them if they'd ever seen the Mormon South Park episode, and none of them had. We had a chance to talk about their two year missions, and I was impressed at the priority they place on missions - during those two years, they go door-to-door 6 days a week and isolate themselves from all secular music, television, movies and books. They asked if our youth group or church needed help with any of our missions projects and if knew of any local help that was needed. When they left, they asked if I needed help with anything, and volunteered to shovel my drive-way. They did an amazing job on it, even getting that crusty stuff that'd been packed down by our cars.

No comments: