Thursday, January 22, 2004


I'm in Landstowne, VA for the next couple of days, right outside of Washington D.C. at the National Training Center. It's a maze of a complex that used to be owned by Xerox. People would come here for a month straight for training at a time. It was created to be an environment conducive to education - meaning they purposely make it tough to figure out where you're going. The place is literally a maze - color coded tunnels and floors running in a complex pattern that I've yet to figure out. I made record time finding my room at check-in. My previous best time was about 30 minutes - yesterday I did it in 10. It helped that my room was 5 doors down for where I stayed last time I was here. This is a kick-off meeting for the team I'm a part of, which is a completely virtual organization. I talk to these people all year long, but we're lucky to see each other face-to-face annually. It's a place where a lot of networking happens over the course of two days. You're a lot more likely to help the guy who calls you up that you've spent some time with, over the one who you don't know from Adam.
I'm here through tomorrow, getting home around 9 PM or so. From there, Cathie and I pack things up and head off to Palm Springs. Cathie's parents are watching the kids Friday and Saturday, and my Mom and Dad are coming on Monday and Tuesday until Cathie comes home.

No comments: