Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I was recently promoted to a new position within my company. I found out last Friday and my head's been spinning ever since. The person who was my boss over the past three months is leaving the company and I was offered his position. I now get to work directly for the person who'd been my mentor over the past year and a half, which I'm really excited about. I now have responsibility for the entire U.S. and lead a team of Principals who do the same type of work that I was doing before. My team's located around the US: Indianapolis, Baton Rouge and Los Angeles. I'm in the process of hiring more.

My head's swimming as I'm trying to get up to speed on everything that's going on within our organization, my team, all while doing the job I was doing before. I'm excited about all that I can now do, but a little reluctant. All of the ideas that I've had in the past and fed up the food chain - now flow to me to process and deploy.

It's funny to look at how much of where I'm at today I can tie back to what I've learned through youth ministry. Sounds like Robert Fulgham book. I learned about leading teams (and leading teams of volunteers is by far the toughest type of team to lead), public speaking (if you can speak in front of Jr. Highers, you can speak in front of anyone), strategy (how am I going to design a system around the intangible) and politics (if you can make parents happy, you can make anyone happy).

No comments: