Saturday, April 03, 2004

Cathie and I got back this afternoon from Kansas City. Cathie had flown in on Friday afternoon to attend a black tie event with myself and some of our team on a project a Park University. I got a call from Cathie about 9:15 on Friday morning from the airport. Turns out that when I booked her ticket, I booked it in MY name and not hers and they wouldn't let her use the ticket unless we purchased another ticket for $350. I quickly called Southwest Airline's customer service, explained the situation and added that I was trying to fly my wife in for a romantic getaway, and this wasn't earning me any points, if you know what I mean. The guy understood and changed the ticket over for me.
While in Kansas City, Cathie got a tour of Park University and of some of the nearby highlights. We went back to the hotel, napped, got dressed and headed out to the Founder's Day event. While there, we got to see a world renound concert pianst (make sure you emphasize the T when you pronounce that word) and enjoy each other's company. From there we went over for a post-party at Park's IT Director's home, Sara Freeman. Sara hosted a martini party for a number of her employees and international students along with the joint Park and Xerox team. It was a great time, and I'd post my picture there, if I hadn't left my camera at Sara's home. While there, I had the chance to talk to a number of Sara' s employees that are students as well. Park has a huge international contingent, and many of her employees are from all over the world. Sara acts as the mom-away-from home for these students, and creates such a great culture in her department. The common theme I heard from each of her employees as we talked was about how much Sara cared about each of her employees, to the degree that she regularly opens up her home, loans cars and does anything she can to help them out. What a legacy to leave behind. Computers will rust, love remains.

No comments: