Sunday, May 16, 2004

I'm reading a bunch of books in parallel right now:

Traveling Mercies : Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott is a bunch of related stories about her journey of faith that are really well told, kinda feeling like you're sitting down having a beer with her hearing them.


The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive
by Patrick Lencioni is a parable that teaches some great business acumen. By putting it in the form of a story, the concepts stick with me way better than reading it in a dry academic way. Great book, part of a series of three.


The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God by Brent Curtis & John Eldredge. I read this book 7 or 8 years ago and it rocked my world and my faith. It opened up my eyes to living the Christian Faith from my heart instead of a bunch of tips and techniques to happy living. It gave me a new set of eyes to view my relationship with God, seeing myself in a whole new light. Figured I'd read it again.


Managing The Professional Service Firm by David H. Maister. This is pretty dry and academic, but it's helping me think through my new job a little more strategically instead of just responding to things as they're thrown at me. I'm really trying to focus and prioritize what I'm doing, and needed something to help me get a better handle on things. David Maister's love for himself comes across in this book. Our company had brought him in to do a workshop around professional services and his self-love came through at that workshop as well.

I need some fiction to throw in there right now. I've got the new Vince Flynn book on order at the library. Any suggestions?

No comments: