Thursday, June 24, 2004

I posted the pictures online from yesterday. They're here.

Another late night last night. I got to bed around 2AM, Jason around 3AM. We had a blast yesterday with most of our group going canoing, kyaking or tubing in the afternoon. The weather's been beautiful and the kids have been awesome. You'll notice from the pictures that most of them have gone from being individual pictures of kids to group pictures, because the kids have really connected with each other. The worship band is amazing and it's been great to see the kids really connecting with God through the worship times we have each day.

Cathie took off today. It really recharged me to have her and the kids here with me, but I was torn a lot of the time between how much time to spend wtih them verses the kids. It's a really tough balance that I haven't figured out yet.


Tim (the bald one laying across everyone else) took off yesterday to head down to Mexico as part of his new job as a youth pastor at a church in Port Huron. We miss him already. I'm so proud of our leaders. We have Jason, who leads with the heart of a servant and with a heart of humility, Sue, who is so laid back and whose authentic love for the kids and God just leaks out of who she is. Jess has such a spirit of fun balanced by a deep knowledge of God and an amazing love for kids. Kasey, Matt and Zach have a very special place in my heart, as they were my very first kids in our youth group - when our group was only 5 or 6 kids total. I'm so proud to see where they've come today as people, leaders and christians. Plus, they get my sense of humor. Always a plus. The common theme, which I've always believed is the most important in youth ministry, is that the leaders like the kids. This is a team I would do anything for.

Bobby Rays and I had a pretty interesting experience sitting in the emergency room last night. He'd cut his leg and we wanted to see if it needed stiches. Midnight in a small town hospital is great. We saw a convict brought in with cuffs, waist belt, and leg irons who happened to look just like Jess! By the time we got back, our pizza was cold.

No comments: