Wednesday, June 23, 2004


Just got back from Walmart. We have an annual tradition of making a midnight run to WalMart where the guys stock up on everything - mostly stuff they don't need. They get everything - squirt guns, wrenches, candy, beef jerky - and this time - light sabers. Lots of light sabers.

Another great day with beautiful weather. No rain, not too hot, not too cold. We had a great sesion this morning (I'm in the Jr. High sessions) followed by team activiites. Our groups are broken into 16 different teams and the teams compete in all sorts of goofy, but fun games (see pictures for details). My team had to play a game with two-by-fours involving problem solving to get our group across the "hot lava" (note for concerned parents - the hot lava was actually grass). We lost badly, but had the most fun doing it. After lunch we had our first "Buck Wild" event - a two hundred foot slip and slide followed by afternoon options - swimming, canoing, golfing, ultimate frisbee, vollyball, etc. After that was our "Deeper" sessions - a time where the kids can go to a different hour long class on topics like worship, music, faith and friendship. We had dinner followed by our youth group time. At our Youth Group time we discussed the age old question - "If you were in a vat of vomit up to your neck, and someone was throwing poop at you - would you duck?" Think about it.

Cathie and the kids came up to visit today and are staying through tomorrow. I haven't been gone long, but I've already missed them and it was great seeing them. I've been coming here for 8 years and this is the first time Cathie's had a chance to see what it's all about and the people that I've connected with. She's gotten to know a lot of the guys like Ken Buck, Phil, Tim, Jason and Jess indirectly, but this is the first time seeing it all in context. Cathie and the kids are staying at a nearby hotel - I'm still with my peeps in the dorms. I'm not smart. It's late. More tomorrow. Day 2 pictures are up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave we can't thank you enough for your time and love you give to our boys. I know their in good hands.

Noel Heikkinen said...

Say "hi" to everyone for me. I miss being with you guys this year. Actually, I only miss Ken.