Sunday, February 06, 2005


Cathie's parents took us to go see the musical Movin Out last night at the Wharton Center in East Lansing. I really had no idea what to expect. I guess I just assumed it was a musical just like Rent or Les Mis. Nope. It was different than anything I'd ever seen before. It was really a modern ballet set to Billy Joel's music. I really liked it, but it was just so different. There were virtually no props on the stage, just the characters doing some very intese music while a guy above the stage (who sounded just like Billy Joel) sang the music. Almost more of a concert. Whoever created the concept basically took a bunch of Billy Joel songs, loosely tied them together into a story, and whallah, you have moving out. I'm pretty sure I could have done the same thing - just not the coreography. There's no speaking in this at all - just dance. There was one scene was the friends Eddie, Tony and James get in an argument. How do they resolve it? Dance, of course. They're plieting and Pirouetting around the stage, throwing each other around in dance. It reminded me of how I resolve conflict with my friends.

No comments: