Monday, February 28, 2005


This is big news... I got a mac mini last week. My original excuse for buying this was after I got fed up with constantly having to hear constant complaining about our family computer dying. The thing would get chock full of spyware no matter how I tried to lock it down and I figured a mac would be the answer.
When I got it home, I hooked it up to my HDTV and I'm never disconnecting it. The panoramic display and picture quality is phenomenal. It looks so good. Will and I spent the Friday night just drooling over this thing and geeking out over it. I've got it hooked into my home stereo and home network with access to all of our family pictures, all of our family video and and my MP3 library. I've got the bluetooth keyboard hooked up to this and a wireless trackball, so I can control it from the couch. The mini is so small, and so quiet, you don't even know it's there. It's about 2"x5"x5".

So far, I was able to go with everything out of the box software-wise. My only complaint is that Apple's iPhoto software falls far short of Picasa. All of the networking and integration with my Windows network and printing worked flawlessly out of the box. Just last night, I downloaded the last episode of 24 that was "accidently" erased and we watched it in High Definition over the network full screen on my 52 inch display, and the mac never missed a beat. The performance on this thing is amazing. I went with the low-end system for $499 - 256MB of memory, 40GB Disk, 1.25GHz processor and I can't believe the performance of this thing. It does video so smoothly and effortlessly, all while I've got audio and other things happening in the background.

The only gap I see with this is that I can't do any kind of digital audio output. I want to be able to use it as a DVD player with my home entertainment system, but I need to find some kind of USB/Firewire device that allows me to connect digitally to my stereo system. It's gotta be out there, I just haven't found it yet.

2 comments:

Hans Christian Schmid said...

Would any of these work for you?

Hans Christian Schmid said...

OK for some reason it didn't display the link. Here it is,

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain2&countrytogo=33