Saturday, April 30, 2005

Today is Garage Sale day in South Lyon. This is a huge deal around here. Traffic drives slowly, non-stop through the neighborhoods as people look for deals. I think I counted almost 16 garage sales in our subdivision alone. Most of the stuff people put out is stuff that they'd be throwing out otherwise. I didn't want to have a grage sale this year, but ended up having one anyways, kinda. I started just by taking a couple of boxes of books to our neighbor's, the Lanams. As I went through the house, I slowly kept bringing stuff down, including my old grill. I offered the Lanam's 8 year old son Austin a comission if the grill sold, but I told him he needed to talk to each person who came in and tell them what a nice grill it was. He did it. Still hasn't sold.

The kids and I went out garage-saling today. Kind of ironic as we're trying to get rid of garbage. The stuff I got was stuff that I can replace old crap with. I got a new umbrella for our patio furniture for $7, I got a new set of very nice golf clubs for $30, Nate got a few books and Madeline got some fiber optic light thingy. Bob Rays would have been disappionted in my lack of bargaining skills.

Trash day is Monday, so the trash scavengers come digging on Sunday night, scrounging through the trash. As we've been cleaning out our house over the past month, we've had huge trash piles, and in turn lots of scavengers. The kids would stand by the front door and watch people pick through our stuff asking, "Dad, why are these people in our trash?" Good question. One man's trash, another man's treasure.

No comments: