Monday, July 18, 2005


I got up at 6AM local time (12PM EST) and headed up to the North Shore with a friend of mine from work Greg, and his wife, Kerry. Greg and I have become good friends over the past 6 years we've worked together over the past 7 years and Cathie and I hung out with both of them the quite a bit at President's Club. On our way to the North Shore (where all of the big surfing competitions take place with the big 50 foot waves), we stopped at the Dole Pinapple Plantation which Will had reccomended to me. It was worth about 15 minutes to see where pinapples come from, but I don't need to spend $15 on a Dole Pinapple shirt, shoes, knife or slippers.

We headed up around the Island and stopped at some of the beaches on the way and saw some amazing stuff, watching kids do some awesome stuff on boogies boards. The scenery was breathtaking the whole way with mountains on one side and this amazing blue water on the other. I came back and hung out at the beach for a while while another friend of mine, Bill and his family showed up. Greg, Kerry, Shawn and Bill and his kids hung out in the ocean for a while, running into a guy who looked just like the American Idol William Hung.

I know you may have heard from others how hard it is to work in Hawaii. I guess I'm just not there yet. Sure the 6 hour time difference is tough to adjust to and communicate with the outside world but it's an opportunity that few people ever have and I'm enjoying every second of it. The one thing that sucks is not having my wife here with me. When you have someone whose soul is connected to yours, it makes it tough to enjoy a new experience without that person at your side to experience it with you. In the back of mind, there's always this thought of "Wow, I wish Cathie were here to experience this with me". I just don't enjoy stuff in the same way without Cathie by my side. I think that's part of what being married to your soulmate is all about and I wouldn't change it for the world.

No comments: