Monday, October 17, 2005

General Blog Disclaimer

As you read this blog, chances are at some point or another you may have been offended. There are times where my statements are intentionally offensive. If that's the case, it's your call to read it or not and disagree with me or not. I'm okay with healthy disagreement. Ultimately, I post the stuff for a very small group of people to read (who for the most part "get me", my sense of humor and my heart) everyone else has the choice to look at this stuff or not. Ocasionally I may post something that is unintentionally offensive to you. Being human, I make bad decisions sometimes and can hurt someone's feelings. Suprisingly enough, it's fairly rare that I set out to offend anyone intentionally - especially the marginalized of the world, other than my younger brother Jon. But of course those of you know me well, know that about me. At this point, you have a choice. You can either:
  1. Assume the best about me and lovingly share with me where I've missed it in the hopes that I hear you and learn from my mistake.
  2. Assume that I'm an ass and blast me with harsh words, flinging a heaping pile of self-righteous crap my way.
Since I've been guilty of doing the second way more times than I care to admit, I really don't have much place to talk here, except to say that I strive towards the first. I'm learning how to balance the truth I think that I have with an additude of love and assuming the best about others before I beat them over the head with my truth. I'm a big fan of what Paul says about how we're supposed to work together in Ephesians 4:
14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Bottom line is that I somtimes have a tough time receiving a flaming pile of crap being chucked my way. All I'm asking is that if you have a problem with something I wrote, be nice and remember that you're equally imperfect and should be humble and assume the best about me and I'll try and do the same with you. I mistakes all the time, and my friends will tell you that I"m pretty open to admitting when I'm wrong, when approached in the right way.

Footnote: I'm sure someone will be offended by this post.

No comments: