Monday, October 31, 2005

I have been so humbled recently by how people have cared for my famliy and for my Mom over the past three weeks since we found out about her cancer and through her surgery. This has probably never happened to you, but there are way too many times where someone has told me what's going on in their world and I've come back with the standard "I'll pray for you" answer and never actually done it. Or even worse, heard about something like this happening in someone elses world and then gotten caught up in the trivial junk in my own world and made their pain an afterthought. The thing is, my Mom is one of those people who when they hear about something going on in someone's world, gives the 'ol "I'll pray for you" response, but then follows up by actually praying - for months and years to come. She does so believing that without a doubt God will do something huge. She does it with this huge heart and compassion for others. I remember when a girl in my youth group was going through her umteenth bout with cancer and my Mom would call regularly to get updates, even give us gifts to give to her - this girl she'd never met, but had a heart for and prayed for.

In my world - my church, my job, my friends and neighbors - I've had so many people - some of whom know my Mom, some who just know us, take such an interest and have such compassion for the whole situation, and diligently praying for her. I went to church on Sunday and was blown away by how many people knew about my Mom and how many asked how she was doing and to tell me exactly how they've been praying for her. Same with my friends at work. Most of my friends around here have met my Mom and probably been made an honorary son by her - friends like Noel, Mike and Will - all praying for her and encouraging others to do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the people that have met your mom, recognize that something is special about her. She had and has so much support.


Sherry