Wednesday, October 19, 2005


We went to my parent's house in Dewitt yesterday afternoon to hang out for a while. It was a beautiful day out, so the kids and Grandma went for a walk in the woods. It was an especially exciting day for my Dad, who had a really epihany around grilling.

I'll be the first to admit that in the past, I've been no expert in grilling. My old grill had so many hot spots in it that I'd cook chicken half burned and half rare. My dad will also badmouth anything but a charcol grill any chance he gets (although he owns a gas grill now). We'd brought shish-ka-bob's for dinner, so my Dad got his charcol grill ready. Once all the coals were lit up, he figured it was ready to go. The temperature above the grill itself was hot enough to melt metal. If you're actually melting metal, this is great! If you're trying to cook chicken over it, the result, aside from burning the hair off the back of your hands and arms, is to have very dry, charred chicken. Once I explained this to my Dad, he was thrilled at learning something new, and swore that going forward he would do things differently, resulting in moist, tender meat from now on. The whole family is thrilled about this one. To prove the point, I cooked the chicken at the near super-nova temperatures, the result being some high quality, dry and burnt chicken, which my Dad has learned to love.

No comments: