Sunday, December 18, 2005

2nd City

Brad's vet clinic had their company Christmas Party Saturday night at Second City in Novi, and he had some extra tickets, with which he invited Cathie and I to join them. The show was hilarious, and we hung out afterwards in a posh Martini Bar that's connected to the resturant. Dana and Eli and Sue and Ron came over and hung out afterwards, playing cards until about 2AM, which was fun.

Tonight, I went to the Project 311 Christmas party, which was fun. I love good stories, and I heard a few of them last night from a few interesting people. One was a girl who grew up as a missionary over in East Africa. She eventually ended up in an American Boarding school over there, but for much of her childhood, she lived on a Gilligan's Island style island, in mud-huts and tents, 2 1/2 hours from the mainland. To her, it was nothing, but her husband explained how cool her childhood really was. There were a million poisionous snakes on the island, and she raised giraffes. Her back yard was filled with Hippos and Corcodiles. She told me about some of the pet monkey she had as a kid, including one chimpanzee. They ended up having to get rid of the chimpanzee because it kept fighting them (no kidding), coming up to them and punching them in the chest. She looked at me strangely when I asked her if the chimps could be dressed up in army and trained for friendly hand-to-hand combat.

The second guy I talked to used to be in a local group that made it fairly big, called Son of Adam. By fairly big I mean that they had one of their songs played on an episode of Smalleville and opened for other bands at DTE Music Theatre - both of which are much more than my band has ever done. He was telling me about the time they opened for Air Supply, and how he'd never heard of them, until he heard them play and figured out that he knew all of their songs. He explained that the most disturbing part was when he found the lead singer of Air Supply naked and passed out in the shower of the changing room at DTE Music Theatre. Creepy.

We ended up having a white elephant gift exchange. I had a gray golf pullover that I'd gotten from a work training event that seemed to go over alright. I ended up with stuff that I could regift to my kids for Christmas.

No comments: