Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas Eve

We woke up Christmas Eve morning and pulled everyting together to head to Lansing to meet up with my family for church. You'd think not leaving until 2:30 would give us plenty of time, but somehow, we found a way to still be scrambling at the last minute.
We got to my Mom's church, where she'd bribed the youth pastor to rope off two full rows for the Kurt clan. The service was great and I got to hold my new niece Libby for most of the service, which was nice, almost made me want a forth. After church, we headed over to my parents house to take our annual Christmas pictures and then eat.

We got the pictures done in record time this year, mostly because we didn't take every stinkin possible permutation of people. We stuck with families, families with Mom and Dad, and the annual Grandkids picture, which gets a little more chaotic every year.

Dan and my Dad forgot to tell the rest of the guys about the ugly-tie contest that was going on:

We had an awesome dinner, and we were all suprised to see that my Dad had sprung for better beer than Killian's. Jon had brought a six pack of Sam Adams, which Dan, Kevin and I made sure we polished off before Jon had finished his first. After gorging ourselves, we settled into allowing the kids to open presents from their Aunts and Uncles. My Mom had gotten the kids matching pajamas, which they soon turned into a gang. They chose the name "Blue Snowflake Ninjas" - not the toughest name, I'll agree...

But I was able to direct them into delivering a beating to my brother Jon, which was fun to watch:

She kept it quiet, but throughout all of this, Cathie was slowing feeling nautious. We'd been wondering if Nate's flu would catch up with us, based on him having it a days back. It did. After getting sick, Cathie headed over to her parents, not wanting to infect my Mom (who's somewhat suseptible due to her Chemotherapy)about five minutes away. Maddie was very concerned about her and went with her to watch over her. We missed her, as this was the first Christmas not to have everyone there.

My sister Susan is following in following in my mother's MuMu footsteps with this outfit, as well as making sure that after three kids, her husband keeps far away as well:

Dan and Kris decided this year not to stay over. We weren't sure if they were mad at us, or what the deal was - frankly, this came as a shock to all of us that they left. This quited things down for us and gave us a chance to hang out. For the second night in a row, Emily asked to go to bed. Having all the beds taken up, Emily decided to sleep in the Den on the chair, and seemed relatively comfortable.

Jon was very excited about the whole thing, as seen by his hat. Kevin, Jon, Nate and I hung out playing the new King Kong video game until about midnight, when we finally crashed.


(You can find additional details of the event on my brother Dan's blog as well)

No comments: