Friday, January 27, 2006

Back from Leesburg


I have a love/hate relationship with the National Conference Center in Leesburg, VA where we hold many of our meetings. I've been coming in for the ten years I'm with Xerox, and it's a place we all love to complain about, but as a company, it's a huge part of our culture. The place was designed in the 70's as a training facility for Xerox, where reps would come and spend months at a time learning new product. In order to shock your system, the place was designed as a giant maze, complete with multi-level color-coded tunnels winding every which way. It's taken me well over 10 years of coming here to not get lost at least half the time. Just when I think I've got it figured out, I end up somewhere other than I expect. The place has a bar on-site called the Black Olive, and part of the Leesburg experience Karaoke night on Thursday. Senior VPs get into the game - everyone, good and bad, gets up, by themselves or as a group to do karaoke. Last night was no exception. Thursday night (aka Prom Night) was at the end of a grueling week of meetings and everyone wanted to blow off some steam - and they did. I got to bed last night about 4, and was back up at 6:30 to put together a presentation for this morning. Needless to say, today was a loooong day.

No comments: