Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Happy 9th Birthday, Nate!

Today was Nate's 9th birthday. He woke up with a floor full of balloons (it's a tradition we started when the kids were babies) and when he got home from school, he opened his presents. Cathie made him a polar fleece blanket and we got him a Pistons jersey as well. (When my brother Jon was here, he amused himself by saying that I always wore Pistons (Pissed in) stuff growing up, so Nate asked me how many Pistons jerseys I had as a kid).

After presents, we went to BW3's for dinner. Madeline told the waitress it was Nate's 9th birthday, and then she proceeded to card me for my beer. I asked if just seeing my three kids was ID enough, and she explained that people have kids as young as 14 these days. Can't argue with that logic. In the Kurt tradition, everyone called him today to wish him a happy birthday. No one misses, less they be shamed, mocked and have their family cursed for generations to come. (Everyone called, except Will, but I think Nate has finished crying himself to sleep by now)

I can't believe I have a nine year old son. It sounds so much older than eight. 20 years ago I never looked far enough ahead to imagine what it'd be like to have a 9 year old, 7 year old and 4 year old.

5 comments:

Rich said...

When I was 9 my parents took me to McDonald’s. My how times have changed, note the 14 year w/child comment..

But the Kurt’s are a progressive parenting group.. In fact, Libby was take’n tapper hits at what 2-3 weeks..

Anonymous said...

ok...even if you had nate when you were 14...that would still make you 23 or 24. silly waitress.

Unknown said...

I tried to get Cathie to let me to take Nate to Hooters, but no go.

Jon said...

Libby went to Hooters for the first time last Friday...and LOVED it. The Hooters girls told us that if we ever need a babysitter, we should ask the girls here because they all love babys. That is a true story.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nate!