Saturday, July 22, 2006

Eli


My friend Eli (far right, gray sweatshirt) has one goal in life: To beat me in poker. Is it a small dream? For some, yes - for Eli, it's everything. Two weeks ago we were playing poker out at Brad's cottage and it came down to just Eli and I in heads up poker. I offered to split the pot with him, but he refused. He has a dream, after all. I quickly took him down hard and he took it hard. Dana and Eli came over the following week for dinner and his wife shared with me that Eli had explained that from now on, he'll play more intensely against me. He hadn't been focused when I beat him, but that he's turning over a new leaf from now on against me to "try really, really hard." I've been considering taking Eli under my wing and teaching him how play "Dave Style". I see it happening a lot like it did in the Karate Kid, with Eli doing odd jobs around my house without him realizing that I'm actually teaching him how to play poker my way.

(Eli hates to lose, and more than anything, hates to lose to me. In reality, he's a much more a student of the game than I am, but as long as I'm up on him, I'll enjoy it.)

3 comments:

~Mrs. DCS RN~ said...

Someone is trying to wake a sleeping dragon.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you are going to keep up the Texas Holdem comments after your little lucky streak comes to an end. It's only a matter of time my son.

Diane said...

This is Dana's sister Diane. She gave me your blog address to look at, for I am starting one as well. Anyway, maybe Eli just does not know how to play cards (Euchre). When him & I play against Dana & my husband (Jeff) we ALWAYS lose. I thought maybe it was me too, but maybe its ALL him. Love you Eli!!