Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Kill the Wabbit


I was happy to live and let live with the Woodchuck under my deck, until Brad explained two things:
1. There's not just one living under there. There's probably a whole family, I'm just seeing one at a time.
2. They'll trash your foundation and gnaw at your deck.

Now, in true Caddyshack fashion, it's on. I went up to the police station and got a live trap all setup in my backyard ready to go, chock full of Woodchuck goodness. They were very clear at the police station that what I do with the animal is my responsibility, so I can either relocate them somewhere, or find a humane way to kill the things. (Yes, I know I could pay a company to come get the thing, but what can I say? I'm cheap.)

Nate and I talked through different options of how to off the little fella, including using the broadsword Cathie had gotten me for my birthday a while back. The best we could come up with was to take them somewhere and let him go.

Cathie was hesitant to let Nate help with this because she'd heard that serial killers all start off killing animals. I used Will as an example of someone who kills a lot of animals and is not a serial killer, but maybe it wasn't a good example. Will is referred to as a Chicken Hawk for many reasons, including the fact that he was given the nickname as a kid for his love of killing chickens and rolling in their blood (Who am I to judge? We have our traditions in our family, Will has his)

No comments: