Monday, July 24, 2006

Velocity - Day 1

We left for camp around 10 this morning. I drove a van full of junior high guys,which was fun. We spent time asking all sorts of questions to each other, like "Would you rather have a fly fisher catch you solidly in the eyeball with their hook OR have someone jam an ice pick up your nose?" We all give our answers and then vigorously debate the pros and cons of each.

We made it into camp around 2:30, guided by my wonderful Tom-Tom GPS system. It took us a bizarre way, but it worked. We went against it's guidance a few times, but we suffered no repercussions. We were pretty sure at one point that it was getting angry and was going to purposely route us into oncoming traffic, but it didn't happen.

We got unpacked, cruised around the campus for a while and then had orientation. Afterwards, we had one of the worst meals of my life. Pictured here is a combination egg-chicken-nugget-cheese casserole, which was the most horrible thing I've ever eaten.



Later on some of the guys went to Wal-Mart. There are few things better than seeing a junior high guy with lots of money in his pocket go shopping with no boundaries. One of the kids kept asking me, "You mean I can buy whatever I want?!?!" I explained to him the other things he might want to save his $ for, but in the end he bought about $10 worth of junk food. Matt and Zach set the example by buying these huge bamboo wooden sticks for some kind of odd battle they're planning for later.

We finished off the night at this gigantic sports complex here at Kenyon College. It's the size of Ford Field with a million gyms and even a movie theatre. Our pizza just got here, so I'm going to eat before it's all gone.

You can see other pictures from Day 1 here.

No comments: