Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Happy Anniversary


Fourteen years ago today, Cathie and I were married at the MSU Alumni Chapel. I was in my senior year at MSU studying Computer Science and Cathie had just graduated with a degree in Family/Community Services and had gotten her first job with Big Brothers/Big Sisters. We honeymooned in New Smyrna Beach, FL as Hurricane Andrew destroyed Miami.

Cathie and I were talking tonight about everything that's gone on over the past fourteen years, including:
  • I've had three jobs (MSU IM Dept, ASG and Xerox) and Cathie has had two jobs(Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metro Detroit and Clinton County)
  • We've lived in 5 places (University Village, Burnt Tree Apts in EL, Apts in Novi, house in Livonia and our house in South Lyon.
  • We've had 5 different pets (2 cats, a dog, 1 guinea pig - and a bunch of fish, which are barely pets)
  • We've been members at one church (Crossroads, for 12 years)
  • We've had three amazing children (Nate 9, Madeline 8, Emily 5)
  • Both of our parents are still happily married and continue to be great role models for us on what love for a lifetime looks like
  • We have 7 nieces and nephews
  • All of my brothers, my sister and Cathie's brother Ed are now married. My adopted brother Will is close, we hope.
  • We've had two roommates (Will for 2 months and Jess for a year)
  • I've taken approximately 100,000 pictures
  • Cathie has completed one photo scrapbook
Most of all, I've fallen deeper in love with Cathie than I ever thought possible. I've learned what it means to be connected with another person at a soul level. I've learned to and serve my wife and honor her in everything I do and say. I am married to my best friend in the whole world and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with her. Cathie's grandparents just celebrated their 60th anniversary, my parents their 40th and Cathie's are coming up on their 37th - all of which seem an eternity, but all amazing examples to us on what a lifelong commitment looks like.

6 comments:

Jon said...

Being the mother of your children doesn't count as Cathie's third job?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful statement, that would last me for five years as a gift from my husband! You two are great, please stay in love!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Thanks for being such great role models for my daughters and our church! We love you!

~Mrs. DCS RN~ said...

Happy Anniversary! You both are so wonderful!

Eli said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY AND CONGATS. I'm very happy for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! We love you and we are so very proud of the both of you and the love you have for each other. May you have many more joyous years
Love,
Your forgetful Mother/Father and Mother/Father in-law:)