Thursday, October 26, 2006

Vacation - Thursday

Today was our big day at the Magic Kingdom, the happiest place on earth. We started off when the park opened and met Sheri's friends Charlotte, Jeff and Spencer. For the first ride, Cathie and I took Nate and Maddie on the infamous Space Mountain while Charlotte and Jeff took Em and Spencer on the Tomorrow-land ride. We saw this stockade and after seeing a picture of Jon and I in the same stockade, had to take a picture.

Between 9 and 4, we hit the park in it's entirety. We never had lines over 10 minutes or so, which was great. We brought our own lunch and split up occasionally on rides like The Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. Charlotte got the girls into Cinderella's castle (she works there) to see Cinderella and get their picture taken:

While Cathie, Nate and Maddie were on a coaster, Em and I found Wendy and Peter for a picture.

We ended the day by getting the kids Mickey ears with their names on them. I was talking to the lady Doris who monograms them and asked her how many she'd done in her lifetime. She said she'd probably done millions. She'd been doing this for 20 years and lost track after the first million of them.

We had a blast at the Magic Kingdom, ending the day with a big parade. It hadn't changed much in 14 years. They've added a couple of rides and kept up the traditional rides, but it's still the same as it was when I first came. I think my expectations for Disney were higher than the kids, remembering how much awe I'd been in when I went 20+ years ago. With all of the technology that kids are exposed to, I'm not sure Disney is as awe inspiring as it once was, but the kids had fun.

We came back, went to dinner at BW3's and then headed to the pool. Emily made the brilliant observation:
Mom, I know why they call it a hot tub. It's hot, and shaped like a tub.

We're hanging out in the room, Nate and I cheering on the Tigers in the World Series. Casey just hit a home run.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave and Family,

I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed following your vacation through the blog - I vow to give it up after you return. It is just so nice to hear about such a great family adventure. Hard to know who to cheer for in the WS - Detroit because I like Dave (and all Kurts) so much or St. Louis because that is my team from forever.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Dave, I am required to attend a KEW next week (JC) - need words of encouragement.

Sara

Unknown said...

Thanks Sara! I'll be in tomorrow, Wednesday/Thursday to be a part of the KEW with you. We can sit in the back.

Anonymous said...

Dave, sounds like you are having a blast. My kids are bery Disney spoiled, as my son turns three next week and has been to ADisney three times. Can't wait to take them when they are older though, then we can to the "relaxation" vacation. Take care, have fun. GO TIGERS

Amy Vich (Jennings)

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are having a blast! s

Anonymous said...

I just remember someone drooling on themselves in the tommorowland theater. My favorite disney memory. That and Mike Kent faking an injury to aquire us a wheel chair for the day. This will actually get you to the front of everyline. Sick I know!