Sunday, December 17, 2006

Online Backup


After having some near-misses with losing data, I've given up on local backups of data as my sole source of backing things up. There's just too much human error involved and it's not worth losing everything over something like that. I had tried to use Amazon's S3 service in the past. The price was right but the client applications just weren't stable enough. Between all of my photos, music and personal and work documents, I've got around 100GB of data to backup across my800GB of storage on my desktop. After reading Mossberg's recent review of online backup systems, I'm trying Mozy. Mozy runs $4.95/month and gives you unlimited backup capabilities for one system. They've even got a free version that gives you 2GB of storage, which is pretty reasonable for most people. It seems to support Vista pretty well and the interface to the application is pretty intuitive. I'll let you know how it works for me.

No comments: