Thursday, January 18, 2007

Mack

I flew into Atlanta yesterday and went over to a friend of mines house for dinner. My friend Mack is the ultimate gadget guy. He me makes me look like a technophobe, frankly. Arriving at his house, I wasn't sure if I was in the right place until I saw the box for an infra-red auto-opening trash-can sitting outside his garage, so I knew I was there. His 13 computers and 2 multi-terabyte file servers makes my technology infrastructure pale in comparison. We went through gadget after gadget as he showed . He's got a fully digital recording studio, a huge collection of signed guitars and a separate digital DJ/Karaoke setup with full intelligent lighting setup. This picture is of his office, with the center screen being a touch screen tablet that he can take notes on with a pen and have it translate them to text.

Mack's always had a large music collection, but he's taken it to the next level. He figured out what it takes to make iTunes break. Apparently a 170,000 songs is more than iTunes was built to handle.

Mack was my boss and mentor a couple of years ago and we've still stayed in touch now that we work in different divisions of the same company. I finally had a chance to meet Mack's wife and daughter who are great and love the technology as well, taking all of his hand-me-downs.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Dave, your comment (about your dad) on my blog about Guinness made me smile, and it was the first smile I had all day. Thanks.