Thursday, February 01, 2007

Happy Birthday Nate!


Ten years ago today at 3:30, my son Nate was born. He's an amazing boy and I'm . Here are ten things about him:
10. Nate loves video games and can beat me in most of them.
9. When he was a baby he used to be a biter. When you would hold him, for no reason he would bite your shoulder. Hard. We tried hot sauce, yelling at him, pinching him and even biting him back. Nothing worked.
8. Nate's favorite book right now is the 2007 Guinness Book of World Records.
7. I am farther in the game Legend of Zelda, Twilight Princess than Nate.
6. Even though his Mom and Dad are both MSU Alumni, Nate is a U of M fan for some reason (thanks to his Uncle Ed).
5. Nate loves listening to music and understanding the stories behind in the lyrics and behind the song. Every couple of weeks he and I put together a mix CD of all types of music from Tom Waits to Rich Mullins to Weird Al. He listens to it as he falls asleep at night, typically putting one song on repeat - almost always a different song. I like going in at night and covering him up, hearing what song he's at on a particular day.
4. We occasionally refer to Nate as "The Troll" as he comes home from school and immediately goes down into the basement to watch TV and play video games.
3. Other than me, Nate is the only other person who understands my Audio/Visual systems and can help Cathie and the babysitters get things setup to watch what they want to watch.
2. Nate is a strong believer that cleaning his room and making his bed every day is a waste of time, because it's just going to get messy again.
1. Nate is amazing boy with a huge heart for others. He has an understanding of his faith that goes beyond your typical nine year old and he thinks deeply about things. If I were to lay out everything I'm looking for in a son and in heaven pick from every child based on those requirements, Nate is exactly the son I would choose. I believe he will grow up to be dangerous for good in the world.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Is there anyway we can stop him now from being "dangerous for good in the world"?

Rays Family said...

Happy Birthday Nate!

Love, The Rays Family

Sarah said...

Dave,

Did you ever hear E. McManus (I think that's his name) tell the story about how he told he son that he wanted him to be dangerous? It's a cool story.

Unknown said...

I listen to his messages via the mosaic podcast and read one of his books, but haven't heard that part.