Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day, Cathie!


We let Cathie sleep in today and all three kids helped make Cathie breakfast-in-bed. Emily hand-made (literally, she picked out and placed each piece of fruit in the bowl) a giant fruit-salad, while Nate helped me with the sausages, eggs and french-toast. Maddie and Em went out and picked some wild flowers to complete the breakfast ensemble. We let Cathie sleep in until 10 before we woke her and brought out creation.

Today was about making sure Cathie had nothing to do but relax. We waited on her hand and foot and the kids were on their best behavior (helped, in my opinion, by my 5x punishment rule for the day - something that would normally put them in bed 30 minutes early was now 2 1/2 hrs early). Cathie hung out in the beautiful weather and enjoyed the sun and a good book.

The girls decided that Cathie needed some pampering so they went out and gathered wild flowers and then gave her a spa treatment. Madeline staretd with a foot massage and Em gave Cathie a back massage.

Maddie finished it off with some strange leaf treatment which involved lots of lotion topped off with leaves which she was told to keep on for an hour afterwards.

We had a great mother's day, touched with a twinge of sadness, all of us missing my Mom today. I think my wife is the most amazing mother I've ever seen. She is the standard by which I measure all other Mom's. She was made in part to be a Mom and she lives in that so well. I love to see her playing with the kids, which she does all the time. She radiates this joy and beauty that make me so proud to be married to her. I'm crazy in love with this Mom.

I got Cathie a couple dozen roses for Mother's Day, having found that I can't really pick out clothes and that she's got all the jewelry she needs (in my opinion) and a vacuum cleaner or cooking pans might have not communicated the message I was going for. Note the beautiful card below in the roses (2 dozen). Cathie asked me, "You drew that? I thought it was Madeline or Emily."

No comments: