Friday, May 25, 2007

Relay for Life, cont

Last week there was a great letter to the editor about how horrible the Relay for Life cancer walk is. In yesterday's paper, 20 different people submitted letters with some pretty impressive levels of shame in them. No one went as far to say, "I hope you get cancer", but the undertones were there. Some of my favorite excerpts are:
No sleep for one night? Get over it. My son is now graduating from South Lyon High School. My husband and my son and I had a wonderful vacation (the first time in many years). I have a lot of nice friends and I'm glad to be alive. Do you think the Relay for Life helped out? I know it did.
and
I cannot believe that these two individuals would label the Relay for Life event as "ridiculous and rude." Jim and Karen, your letter was ridiculous and rude! So you had one uncomfortable, sleepless night in your home! What about all the uncomfortable sleepless nights the Dolans have had since Abby's cancer diagnosis. What about all the uncomfortable sleepless nights all those stricken with cancer and their families have to endure because of this awful disease?
and
To know that somebody had complained about an event that could help survivors, or could have saved my aunt, is truly heartbreaking. This letter is an example of how apathetic the world has become. Anybody could be diagnosed with cancer and to complain about raising money for possibly you, or your kids, or grandkids in the future, is mind boggling. At the start of Relay for Life, there was the survivor lap.

No comments: