Thursday, June 28, 2007

Phil will never read this

This is Phil. As you can see, Phil has a giant paint ball wound on the side of his neck. He's a Youth Pastor out in Livonia. Phil has dyslexia, but most people would have no idea. I always figured this meant that you see a couple letters backwards and it's a little tougher to read. Phil has a very extreme case of dyslexia and can't read at all and never will be able to. When you and I see a stop sign, we think the words stop. Phil sees four letters that don't correspond to anything in his brain. Everything has to be read to him. Stop and think about how many things you read in a day and what the world. This really blew me away. I seriously couldn't imagine never being able to read a book. I read a book a week. I read menus. I surf the internet. I read newspapers. I read directional signs. I don't know what I'd do.

The amazing thing is that Phil runs a construction company, has his Bachelor's degree in Youth Ministry and knows the bible inside and out. He doesn't look for pity and he's able to laugh about it.

No comments: