Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Velocity - Tuesday

Our first full day of camp went off without too much of a problem. One of the church's (Ken Buck's) came down with mass food poisoning. After doing an intense House on the group, the best they can figure is that they all ate a bunch of cherries that Ken purchased at a farmer's market and didn't wash. Could be something else, but this is too good of a story to remind Ken year after year.

After this morning's session we had some team games, including this one called blind thwacker. It involved blindfolds, water noodles and poking people. It doesn't get much better than that.

For our "Buck Wild" time, we had the giant slip and slide going. It's a 200 feet long piece of visquene, coated with baby shampoo and constantly hosed down. The kids go flying down this into a giant pool of soap, mud and grass - all while getting sprayed with a hose.

Everyone got into it and we had some quality pile-ups at the bottom as people didn't get out of the way fast enough. No injuries, though.

I took a group canoing today and the river was super low. 80% of the kids I took were junior highers from other schools and NONE of them knew how to canoe. Tim Wright and I flipped 20 capsized canoes and freed up another 50 canoes stuck on rocks.
It's only day two, but it feels like we've been here a while already. As usual, the kids were up early this morning - but as we run 'em hard, they start to get to bed a little early and sleep in a little later. Breakfast is at 7:30, so there's not too much sleeping going on.

We had one guy end up with a bad hair cut and make the choice to go bald instead. I'm not mentioning any names, but his name rhymes with Brad Wheelock. We made our annual Wal-Mart run tonight in another church's van. We took two groups, each ended up with all sorts of quality crap, once again.
My vow to only take the stairs is seeming a little dumber each day. I go up the stairs at least 13 times a day x 16 stairs per flight x 7 flights of stairs x once up+once down. If my math is right, I figure I'm doing about 2912 stairs per day. I'm eating more lettuce in a given day than I do in a month. Two huge salads each day combined with my friend Mr. Gold Bond Medicated Power and I'm a happy guy.


You can see the rest of the pictures here.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

These posts are so much fun to read!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the great pics & update! looks like a total blast!!
Harold & Laura