Sunday, July 01, 2007

Bellevue Heritage Days

We headed to Bellevue this morning for Bellevue Heritage Days. It started with a parade that was a lot of fun. ANYONE could be in this parade, and they pretty much were. There were old cars, lawn mowers, tractors, horses - and just some crazy stuff that I couldn't figure out why, but it was fun to watch. My cousins Corey and Cody were in it along with the Shriners doing crazy tricks on their tractors and another bunch playing some odd music. My personal favorite were the guys riding the cooler go-carts full of beer.

The parade was a blast with people coming from all of the neighboring towns to be in this and see the parade. My cousins seemed to know just about everyone in the parade and had all sorts of interesting side-stories to boot. The kids were able to go on high quality carnival rides and we got a chance to watch lawn-tractor pulls. There were all of the typical carnival rides, most of them have been outlawed since the 1950s due to safety reasons. The carnies did a great job rebuilding the rides on the fly with their handy-dandy screwdrivers.

In the Iowa tradition, we hung out in the garage and on the driveway, in lawn chairs. After a long day of Bellevue fun, I figured I was due for a nap. I ended up getting inadvertently posing while getting my nipples pinched, a bow placed on my head a coozie in my lap.

My cousin Connie made these cool custom coozies for the ladies (and my cousin Kurt (yes, his first name is our last name. confusing?). We're trying to convince her to setup sweatshops in china to make them and then sell these things online.

We're heading back tomorrow morning early, around 6am. Should be a fun drive with candy-filled tired kids.

No comments: