Thursday, July 12, 2007

Weird Al Concert

My Dad took myself and Dan and our kids to see Weird Al in concert tonight in Lansing. I came right from the airport and met up with Dan and the kids and we all drove down together. It was a beautiful night and a great time. It was a really diverse group of people, from young kids to old folks like my Dad, all singing along and having fun. The concert was like going to catholic church with a lot of standing and sitting as they'd play various Weird Al video clips (like this hilarious interview with eminem) in between songs as they'd change outfits. He did just about every song imaginable, including "Fat", complete with the big suit. His encore was the highlight of the show, the 12 minute song Albuquerque, which Nate and Maddie knew just about every word as the three of us sang together about our hatred of sauerkraut.

My Dad was kind enough to get their early and get us great seats close to the stage. I think he secretly enjoyed the loud music that was blaring out of the speakers that the DJ was playing before the concert. As we walked around the festival, I offered my nephew Matthew $5 to go up to two people of my choice and simply proclaim, "I AM the Cobra Commander", salute and walk away. He wouldn't. He'll never become the Cobra Commander if he keeps this attitude up.

Lansing people have odd concert etiqutte. First - EVERYONE had their Weird Al concert shirts on, which breaks about 12 of Shinn's concert rules and makes them "That Guy". Secondly - who brings an inflatable blow up doll as a beach ball for the audience at a family concert?

You can see the rest of the pictures here.

No comments: