Friday, November 30, 2007

Commute

For ten years, I've had almost no commute because I work out of a virtual office. I wake up most mornings and walk downstairs into my office to start my day. When I'm done, I head upstairs. When I need a change of scenery, my office is the local library, the deck in my back-yard or the local coffee shop. I'm a huge fan of working virtually. Sure, I go through cycles where have to travel, but the most time I spend in the car for my job is going back and forth to the airport. I couldn't imagine spending an hour on either side of my job sitting in traffic just to get to my job.

As I've been working on this project on the east coast, I've been running into more and more people who have a serious commute. By serious - I mean 3 hours, each way, for a total of 6 hours of travel time! I couldn't imagine this. The people I talk to live in Jersey, drive, boat, train and then subway just to get to their job. Someone even came up with the brilliant idea of offering an MBA for the two hour train ride each way. Makes me appreciate what I have even more.

No comments: