Sunday, November 25, 2007

Kurt Thanksgiving Dinner

DSC00244DSC00235
I love Thanksgiving and this year's Thanksgiving felt semi-normal after the weirdness of last year's Thanksgiving, a month after my Mom's death. The whole family was there without our usual collection of extras (we invited Mike Koch and Sarah, but they couldn't make it). Everyone brought lots of food and we ate and ate and ate. Cathie finally decided to not make her nasty-green-bean casserole that only she eats and make regular green-beans with bacon that everyone liked. My brother Jon made creamed peas, which only he likes. (He used to have my Mom make these as kids, not because he liked them, but because they made us gag).IMG_6188DSC00266

Kevin and I watched the Lions game until I crashed in a triptophane induced food coma in the den. After chucking a remote control at Kevin's junk, I figured I needed to strategically place my hands to protect myself while I slept. Jon and Dan brought guitar Hero III and with two guitars, we had lots of duals. As usual, my brother-in-law Kevin picked up on the game in 30 seconds and was able to smoke me, even thought I'd put many hours of practice into the game to date.
DSC00240My Grandma is getting to the point where she can't (doesn't feel comfortable leaving) make it out of Burcham Hills to come to hang with us for the holidays, so I went over and hung out with her for a while.

Before we left, my Dad gave us each a collection of his memoirs for the kids to have when they're ready. It's the story of his life, his marriage, his successes, his failures, the things he's learned as a man, a dad, a son, a brother and a husband. It's a fantastic thing to pass onto the kids, and to their kids. I'll be disappointed if we don't end up playing "Dad Jeopardy" at Christmas time.

You can see the rest of the pictures here.

No comments: