Friday, January 11, 2008

The Shinns

Dave, Jess and Jason
If you weren't aware, our friends Jason and Jess Shinn are moving to Ohio. I've known Jason for a lot of years. I met him when he was Ken Buck's intern and asked him to come be an intern at Crossroads. Jason eventually became the youth pastor at our church and we've done youth ministry together for what seems like a long, long time. I met Jess through Jason and Ken, and got to know her even better after she lived with our family for a year. Jess is like a sister to me. My family and I love both of them dearly.

Jason and Jess hung with our church in the toughest times. I've gotten watch Jason grow as a youth pastor and teacher as we've done so many things together. Through a very tough decision, Jason and Jess are taking a job at Buck's old church down in Xenia where Jason originally interned. I'd guessed this was coming for a long time so I think I was prepared for it to some degree. We've got a fantastic guy coming on to take over for Jason, who over time will develop into an equally great youth pastor. I've been so caught up in some of the logic and plan in this that some of the magnitude of Jay and Jess leaving has not hit me until today.

We're having a going away party tomorrow for the Shinn's (everyone is invited, 6pm at our house). For the party, I started going through pictures over the past years with Jay and Jess. I was overcome with this huge feeling of sadness. I went through pictures of the weeks and weeks we've spent at camps, youth group meetings, events and pictures of Jay and Jess with kids they've touched (not in that way). Wow, I'm going to miss them, and so will my family and my church. They are amazing.

No comments: