Monday, March 03, 2008

The Master Negotiator

Emily Crashed
Em has always been the master negotiator in our family. She's never satisfied with just playing one game of cards - she'll always ask for five, knowing she can probably get to three.

After a long day of wedding and reception, she finally crashed in her Aunt Kris's arms. The only problem was that we hadn't gotten a family picture yet. Knowing that my whole family probably won't be dressed in tuxes and gowns, I figured this was our big chance. The challenge was that a volatile sleeping child being wakened doesn't has a very high probability of ending up ruining the same once-in-a-lifetime picture that I wanted. The amazing thing about Emily is that even waking up from a dead sleep, she knew exactly where her negotiating position stood.

I woke her up, asked her to take the picture and she said she was too tired, which was fair. I quickly pulled out my trump card - buying her a Webkinz, her favorite stuffed animal. She quickly came to life with the response, "How about two Webkinz?" To be in a good negotiating position, you have to be willing to walk away from the deal. Emily inherently knew that I wasn't, and that she had me over a barrel. Normally, I'd stand my ground, but this time, I took the safe route and went with the two Webkinz route. We got the picture - so I figure it was worth the extra $12.

No comments: