Saturday, March 08, 2008

Wake up little Bethie

After a late night pre-wedding outing with Will, Jon and Kevin last week, I desparately needed a nap the next day. In a few minutes of down time, I was able to kick back and get a nap in. In the Kurt family, we respect the nap deeply - it's an art form. During family gatherings, it's not uncommon for the men to hide in closets, under beds and behind couches if they don't have a kid small enough to have to lay down with for a nap.

Back to me taking a nap. As I laid down, my sister-in-law Beth came running in, shook me awake and announced that Nate might have sickle cell anemia. Being the concerned father I am, I woke up, looked at her and asked her if he would die today from it. She responded "No", so I went back to sleep. She believed that my nap was worth interrupting for this info.

I called Beth a few minutes ago to let her know what was wrong with her notebook. Sure it was 12:15am and there was nothing the information could do to benefit her in that moment, but I thought it was important that she realize this at this time. Deep down, I think she appreciated it.

2 comments:

Jon said...

What you had forgot to figure into your plan was that we live in the Central time zone and you really called us at 11:15 p.m., we were awake watching a movie.

Unknown said...

I thought that since Memphis doesn't celebrate day light savings time, it would actually be an hour later.