Monday, May 12, 2008

I Shall Overcome

This morning Kirk took us through the most hated workout of all - the infamous bands. You take two 8 foot giant rubber bands and tie them together, looping them around your waist - and then one person springs while the other person acts as an anchor for them. We do 100 yard sprints, and then anchor for the next guy on the same 100 yard sprint. After doing five sets of these, you do the same thing backwards. This gives you a wicked cardio workout but a leg workout that rivals no other. There's a whole psychological aspect to this and how hard you push the other guy your anchoring for, who ends up anchoring for you at some point.

Anyways, this exercise has been my nemesis forever. Kirk has threatened me with it and snuck it in a number of times and almost killed me. For the longest time I was so out of shape from a cardio perspective that I would nearly pass out or throw up from the exercise. We did the excercise today and I pushed myself harder than before and came out ahead. I gave 100%+, right up to the edge of what I had, but having been running, I was able to recover and get ready for the next set. It felt great to be able to do it well, but also to be able to overcome one of my demons at the Triad.

No comments: