Thursday, May 15, 2008

Odd

About a year ago, I started having this pain in my upper back. Much to the chagrin of my family, I went to see a chiropractor to find out what's wrong. After the first appointment, he explained to me that it was caused by the fact that I sleep with my arms up over my head at night. He explained that there was nothing he could do and that I needed to try and figure out how NOT to sleep like that. Easier said than done. It seems like no matter how I fall asleep, I wake up with my hands behind my head.

Over the past year I've been trying all sorts of odd things to fix this. I've tried placing pillows next to me, interlocking my fingers across my chest before I fall asleep and a few other odd things. Last night I decided to try tying my hands together. Cathie thought this seemed like a bad idea at a lot of levels, describing scenarios that involved her being accidently strangled in the middle of the night or my hands being cut off (de-hand-itated?). I took one of the kids jump rope and made a couple of loops in it and slid my wrists through. It seemed to work for a while until it slid off. When I say work, maybe I'm being generous. The jump rope had wooden ends on it and when I went to scratch my face in the middle of the night I ended up nailing myself in the noggin wiht one of those ends.

I think the ideal solution is one of those chinese finger traps that you had as kids. The more you pull on it, the tighter it gets, but when you push your fingers together it actually loosens up. Then again, I'm the guy who considered the jump roap a good idea.

4 comments:

Noel Heikkinen said...

Most people untie themselves BEFORE going to sleep.

Jon said...

Did your Internist recommend you go see a chiropractor?

~Mrs. DCS RN~ said...

Maybe Cath could help find something for you to do with your hands before you fall asleep.

Will said...

have Cathie randomly knee you in the junk throughout the night. I bet it won't take long for you to sleep with your hands protecting your junk, all night long.