Friday, May 30, 2008

This morning's workout

We changed it up this morning during our workout. Instead of our normal cross-training stuff, we played lighting, with a twist. If you've never played lightning, it's a basketball game where everyone lines up behind the free-throw line and the first guy shoots. He needs to put the ball in the hoop before the guy behind him does or he's out. There' s a lot of running and sprinting in the game as move through the line. As a person got out, they would have to do whatever the chosen exercise was (50 push-ups, 50 mountain-climbers, bear crawls, etc) and then jump rope until the game was over. My lack of basketball skills meant that i got a great workout in this morning, except for the two rounds that I actually won. It was a fun change of pace.

My brother-in-law Kevin has got me thinking about running a half-marathon with him in August. Kevin turned me on to this 12 week training regiment to get ready, which doesn't seem too crazy. I'm going to start it next week and begin logging my distances and times and see where I get to. I really wanted to do a sprint triathlon this year and getting over the running part was a big hurdle. The distance swimming part is the part that I'm having a tough time overcoming. Maybe next year, or maybe this year if I can get myself to actually go to the pool and swim.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

You may have just inspired me. Keep an eye out for daily updates on my diet/exercise progress.

Simply Curious said...

I'm not sure how I found your blog, and I very rarely comment on anyone's blog at all... But you made my little daily workout sound like playtime. Quick question, and I'll be sure to check back in to see your answer... Is this type of intense workout good for weight loss and calorie/fat burning? Or is it more, muscle building exercise? I'm always looking for a new fat/calorie burning exercise.

Unknown said...

It's great for building lean-muscle and burning fat/calories. By moving from exercise to exercise in a circuit, your muscles don't tire out as quickly and you keep your heart rate at a good sustained level for an extended period of time.

We end do doing very little with weights and more plyometric type exercises that involve jumping, push-ups, bear-crawls, crab-walks and body-weight exercises. Most of the exercises engage your core plus multiple body parts, where many weight lifting exercises are more focused on a single muscle group. Hope that answers your questions. From the picture, it seems like your exercises are working pretty well.