Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My iPhone


I finally did it. I bought an iPhone. After the announcement of the 3G iPhone, I'd been debating it, meditating on it, evaluating my options and honestly spending way to much time thinking about it. I've been with Verizon Wireless since the beginning and I think they have the best customer service and the best coverage around - just no iPhone. It really didn't make sense for me to make the move. I've still got 9 months to go in my contract, Nate and Cathie's phones are both on Verizon, as are a lot of people I know. As it stood, the plan would have been much more expensive than what I was paying with Verizon. If I were to do the 'ol Ben Franklin pros/cons chart, this should have been a no-brainer.
The problem is I live and die by my phone. When I travel, I need my world at my finger tips, and my current Motorola Q9m just didn't really cut it. It seemed like I was always carrying multiple devices with me everywhere I went - my iPod, my laptop and cell phone. The iPhone gives me the ability to narrow that down to one in many circumstances. Who am I trying to kid? I've got the phone, I don't need to justify it.

In order to get over the cost barrier, Jon, Beth and I went in on a family plan for the phone. It brought the price down to about half of what it would of been per person. Two more people would fully optimize the price point. Kevin?

Anyways, the phone rocks. It's everything I dreamed it would be and it has the potential to be the one purchase that really does make me happy for the rest of my life, even though every other purchase I've ever made has let me down. The interface is awesome, the Microsoft Exchange e-mail/calendar/contact integration rocks, the new apps are mind blowing. I'll blog more about how I'm using it later, but for now, I've got it, and it rocks.

The downside is, I'll have an even worse case of continuous partial attention and been even more annoying about constantly looking at my phone for e-mail, facebook, google reader, etc. Maybe being completely connected to my music, video, calendar, e-mail and internet at every moment isn't a good thing? Nah. I'd get a chip implanted in my head if I could.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Dave, cool that you got the iPhone. The new app store is great. I am still using the iTouch, but will probably get an iPhone in the future. I had no idea that the iPhone/touch were as motion sensitive as they are. The app Labrynth (the lite version is free) really shows that off. I did pay for the Spanish Flashcards app, which is pretty cool- and also helps sell my wife that it can be used for educational purposes. :)