Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Running

I went for a run this evening at Kensington Park, doing the eight mile loop, and I loved it. After months of training for my half marathon and 10k, this run was completely different than any run in a while. Every time I've run for the past four months, I push myself. I'm constantly checking my watch, my pace, my speed and my cadence - trying to measure and be just a little better than the last time.

This run was different. I ran the loop without checking my watch, running at whatever pace I wanted, not beating myself up for slowing down to walk while I got a drink (I still haven't figured out how to drink something while running without getting most of it in my nose). It was nice to not be pushing myself to the point that I was hating what I was doing. Instead I ran and enjoyed it. I ran and took in the scenery and the sounds. The lake was beautiful and glassy as the sun was setting. I saw deer, ducks and cranes (the bird kind and the construction kind).

My run reminded me of the line from Olympic runner Eric Liddell in the movie Chariot's of Fire:
I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.
It was a cool time to think, reflect and enjoy. Most of the time when I'm running so hard that I can barely breathe I don't do much of any of those

No comments: