Thursday, November 27, 2008

Northwest's new e-Boarding Pass

While checking in for my flight on Monday, I stumbled across a new feature on Northwest's web site. It offered me the ability to have an electronic boarding pass, which seemed kinda cool. It sent a link to my iPhone, which I was able to pull up on my screen. The screen shows a 3D barcode and your flight info. Rather cool, especially for NWA, who is rare on the cutting edge of anything.

I never got around to reading the e-Boarding instructions that NWA has on their web site so I printed off a paper copy as well. I went through security and they scanned the screen on my iPhone on a new reader they have at DTW. It showed up my name and flight info, the second time. Apparently you have to have a clean screen, otherwise it won't read your ticket.

I went through security and got to my gate. The reader couldn't read it at the gate, and I didn't want to be "That Guy" who holds everyone up, so I handed them my paper ticket. This is just plain cool technology. Most business travelers have devices like a blackberry or iPhone that will work with this technology. It saves me the pain of having to print off a ticket, and saves on the paper as well. One less thing I have to remember, and one less thing to lose.

You can read this article for more info.

1 comment:

Noel Heikkinen said...

That's a weird looking iPhone.