Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Odd Week

I've been traveling this week - Monday/Tuesday in New York, Tuesday/Wednesday in Chicago. I'm in a new job this year, one with a new team within a new organization. I went from a management role in my company to a job where I had no direct reports, which was a nice change for a while. I'm back to managing a team and having to work with them to get everyone to the next level.

I like both roles. It was nice to be an individual contributor again, begin responsible only for myself, being focused, and being able to deliver results, because I was mostly only dependent on myself. We went through a fairly major reorganization, as we're prone to do in Xerox, and I ended up with a my second choice for a job in the new organization. Even as a second choice, I ended up with probably the best boss amongst all my options, in a group that really wanted me and even went out of their way to give me what I needed to be successful. As part of the horse trading, I was able to get Mark Kohne, a friend of mine and guy I hired a few years back, on my team. There's a certain serenity to having a guy that knows you inside and out and will call you out if need be.

Anyways, I'm back to traveling a fair amount as I'm having to work with my team across the country, evaluate where everyone's at and try and find new opportunities for everyone. I was in New York for meetings on Monday and the meetings all day today in Chicago. We got into the airport Tuesday night to 0 degree weather and it went down hill from there. As we sat in meetings today we saw the delays at O'Hare grow to over 4 1/2 hours. Since O'Hare airport has a personal hatred of me, we made the call to stay over and fly out early tomorrow morning. There are few things worse than waiting around all night in an airport after a long day of meetings.

Mark and I were able to get a great deal at the Conrad Hilton downtown, one of the nicesr, more chic hotels I've stayed at, comparable to a "W" Hotel. My room had a 50" flat screen on the wall, a glass shower, a "pillow menu" and they did complimentary shoe shines.

I stayed here last night as well, and even the seven different types of pillows couldn't give me a good rest. I got to bed about 2AM and About 3:30AM I was awakened by my phone ringing. It took me a while to figure out that it was my phone and that it was 3:30AM. I got out of bed, answered it, only to hear a voice in the phone, and outside my door say, "This is hotel security. Your door was not fully shut." SLAM. Nice way to wake me up there, fella.

For my future recollection, I had dinner at Ben Pao restaurant tonight off Rush street, which was even better than P.F. Changs. Wow, was this place good. Great service, but waaay better food.

We're flying out at 7AM tomorrow and then I'm heading back to New York next week, but back in time for Madeline's spelling bee. One of hte highlights for me this week has been my calls from Maddie. She's called me around 5 each day to ask me how my day has been and see how things are going. It's such a kind, thoughtful call that it means a ton to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Should I be jealous of Mark? Cuz the way you talk about him traveling/working with you is a little more like a spouse than a co-worker. Things that make you say hmmmm.