Friday, February 06, 2009

Kirk Vickers is almost as tough as me

I was back at Triad for the 6am workout this week for the first time in a couple of months. We had an interesting workout where we played lightening (the basketball game where you do lots of sprinting, especially when you can't make a shot like me). The game itself would last 2-3 minutes and based on the order you got out, you'd immediately have to do the exercise of choice. Last place would do 5x the exercise of 1st place.

We would do bear crawls, push ups, dips, box pushes and one especially grueling exercise on the treadmill. We put the treadmill up to a full 15 degree incline and would run backwards on it for a period of time. I was out first, so I had to do this for 1m 30s. Sounds easy, right? I made it to about 1m 15s before I had to pause for a second before finishing my time. Kirk (the owner of Triad) mocked me for being a runner and not being able to do something as simple as run backwards for a couple of minutes. He stepped up and I declared that he would be officially even tougher than me (he's old, 50) if he could make it the whole 1m 30s. He ended up falling off at about 1m 20s in a way that made us all cringe. At his age, you can break a hip when you fall.

Unfortunately, Kirk is officially not as tough as me. (Kirk used to be an amateur boxer, but again, he's old and slow now, so I don't factor in the fact that he can pound on me, because I can run faster)

No comments: