Friday, December 04, 2009

My Big Mouth and Nate's Smelly Haggis

At Nate's open house earlier this year, his World Languages teacher told the parents about the kids bringing in a dish from their heritage.  I joked with Nate that he should bring in Haggis, a scottish dish.

If you've never heard or had haggis, it's made up of sheep’s lung, heart, liver mixed together with oatmeal, onions, nutmeg and sprinkled with some salt and ground pepper. The ingredients are then stuffed into the sheep’s stomach and boiled.

I looked up how to make this and decided that I would use the Brad Jeffrey technique and throw money at this.  I went to the Akroyd's Scottish Bakery in Redford, a place we used to go all the time as kids to get meat pies and pastries for my Mom and Grandma and bought me a haggis.

I started boiling it this morning before I left for the gym so Nate could bring it to school with him.  I came home to the smell of a dead body in our house.  Nate was literally rolling on the floor laughing as he watched his Mom gag from the smell.

No comments: